Thursday, December 4, 2008

Conversation on buying locally

Does buying local really help the community?

December 4, 2008 9:38 AM
Buying local: Facts and fictions. Help me sort through the arguments about buying local as I get inundated with requests to do so this holiday season.
Discussion continues at AskMetaFilter: http://ask.metafilter.com/108400/Does-buying-local-really-help-the-community

I'm curious to sort through this post myself as I've held it is important to buy local to support the strength of the local community when you can, even if it isn't always the least expensive (See previous post re: the economic stimulus checks). I don't think it's a hard and fast rule but it is something that I am trying to make into consideration more when I make a purchase. Looking through this MetaFilter post, I'll have to see if those assumptions hold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment